Special Event: BMVA
September April Event
Manchester, 4th - 6th April 2022
Organisers: Neill Campbell
Announcement: Event Postponed to April 2022
We regret to announce that we have had to reschedule the BMVA Event to April 2022 after consultation between the BMVA, the event venue and the team in Manchester. Sadly, although government restrictions have been relaxed, modelling suggests that there will still be a high infection rate in September which discourages large indoor gatherings. We have also been contacted by a number of researchers that have advised us that their institutions (academic and industrial) are still currently only allowing essential travel. The safety of all participants and ensuring that as many as possible can attend is our primary focus.
All the organisers are disappointed not to be able to meet in September and we understand the disappointment this will cause to those who were looking forward to attending - we offer our apologies for this and very much hope that everyone will be able to attend in April instead when all our current advice suggests that both gatherings and travel will be allowed again by the majority of institutions.
Anyone who booked through eventbrite will have their current booking automatically refunded and we will open registration for April as soon as possible. Please follow the BMVA twitter account for announcements regarding the event or contact the organisers if you would like to be added to an email list for specific announcements.
We are excited to announce that we will be hosting an in-person meeting in Manchester in April open to all computer vision researchers. After a difficult period of exclusively online events, our hope is that this will serve as a welcome opportunity for researchers from across academia and industry and all levels of seniority to meet to discuss research. The form of this meeting will be a departure from previous events but is perhaps closest in ethos to a multi-day workshop taking the form of a greatly expanded technical meeting as well as inspiration from the recent successes of community focused events such as "unconferences". Our intention is to keep the cost of attending as low as possible and to make sure there are no barriers from the whole computer vision community attending. All participants will receive space for a poster and there will be a variety of additional timetabled sessions. Please see below.
The main focus of the meeting will be the poster sessions from the attendees to provide a forum for all researchers to meet and discuss ideas.
The current proposal also includes the following in the timetable over the three days of the meeting:
- Doctoral Consortium: A session for PhD students who have recently graduated or are near graduation to present their thesis research to interested members of the academic and industrial research community.
- Invited Keynotes: We will have some invited keynote speakers from academia and industry as well as from recently appointed BMVA Distinguished Fellows.
- The ‘Missing Oral’ Sessions: Many researchers missed out on presenting interesting work in person due to the need for virtual conferences. We will organise sessions to allow researchers who would have received an oral presentation at one of the conferences that became virtual during the pandemic to apply to give their presentation.
- Early Career Researcher Networking Session: A session for recently appointed faculty to meet and present their research topics as well as receive guidance from senior researchers.
- Industry Sessions: Industrial research groups will be able to host individual and joint sessions.
We welcome both suggestions for additional items for the timetable and volunteers who would like to be involved in the organisation and running of any aspect of the event.
We have combined sponsorship opportunities with the BMVC 2021 virtual conference. Opens include hosting stands at the event and organising activities for attendees. Please get in contact with Martin Fergie for more details.
Registration will be open soon..
We are really looking forward to the April Event and hope to see you there! As we all know, it has been a very difficult time for organising research events and we really hope that this in-person meeting will be a welcome opportunity for everyone to meet up and discuss research. As the circumstances are unusual, please make sure you read the following:
- Refunds: In the (hopefully unlikely) event that we are unable to go ahead with the event we will be offering refunds on registrations. We will also offer refunds to participants if, due to changing circumstances, they feel uncomfortable attending an in-person event. We note that there will be no online equivalent if the event cannot be held in-person.
- Places: Places are allocated on a first-come-first-served basis however we reserve the right to place caps on the number of registrations from a single institution/organisation.
- Included: Registration is for in-person access to the event (there will be no hybrid or online attendance options); included are the event reception, lunch on all days and the official event dinner. Accommodation and travel are not included. The website will provide recommendations for affordable hotel accommodation with easy access to the event hotel.
- Attendance: Unfortunately, due to the on-going pandemic restrictions and guidelines, we cannot accept applications from overseas colleagues; sadly, registration is limited to students registered at a UK institution or researchers working at an institution, organisation or company in the UK.
- Topic: Aligning with our charitable mandate of focusing on computer vision education and research, we reserve the right to limit participation to researchers working in the field of computer vision (as per BMVC relevance).
During the registration process there will be the option to indicate if you would like to bring a poster to the event (abstract details provided shortly) and whether or not you would like to apply to present at the “missing orals” (see above). We are also canvassing demand for demos but we cannot guarantee that we will be able to accommodate this.
The registration does not include accommodation. Rooms can be booked at the Kimpton Clocktower event hotel in Manchester but participants are free to stay wherever. Alternative hotels that are nearby include (with rough price estimates as of June 2021):
Holiday Inn Express Manchester City Centre (~£85 per night)
- ibis Manchester Centre 96 Portland Street Hotel (~£54 per night)
ibis Manchester Centre Princess Street (~£54 per night)
Novotel Manchester Centre (~£97 per night)
Pendulum Hotel (~£85 per night)
Jurys Inn Manchester City Centre (~£119 per night)
The Midland (~£159 per night)
- DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly (~£89 per night)