Special Event: BMVA September Event
Manchester, 6th - 8th September 2021
Organisers: Neill Campbell
We are excited to announce that we will be hosting an in-person meeting in Manchester in September open to all computer vision researchers.
After a difficult period of exclusively online events, our hope is that this will serve as a welcome opportunity for researchers from across academia and industry and all levels of seniority to meet to discuss research.
The form of this meeting will be a departure from previous events but is perhaps closest in ethos to a multi-day workshop taking the form of a greatly expanded technical meeting as well as inspiration from the recent successes of community focused events such as "unconferences".
Our intention is to keep the cost of attending as low as possible and to make sure there are no barriers from the whole computer vision community attending. All participants will receive space for a poster and there will be a variety of additional timetabled sessions. Please see below.
Research Focus: We will encourage all attendees to submit a short 1 page abstract of work they would like to present at the event and all attendees will be given space for a poster. Whilst the abstracts will be checked for topic and relevance, there is no formal peer-review process and there will be no formal proceedings published. There will be no restrictions from the BMVA on dual-submission and attendees are free to choose whether they would like to present previous work (e.g. already published), current work in progress, or just new ideas that they wish to discuss or receive feedback on.
The main focus of the meeting will be the poster sessions from the attendees to provide a forum for all researchers to meet and discuss ideas.
The current proposal also includes the following in the timetable over the three days of the meeting:
- Doctoral Consortium: A session for PhD students who have recently graduated or are near graduation to present their thesis research to interested members of the academic and industrial research community.
- Invited Keynotes: We will have some invited keynote speakers from academia and industry as well as from recently appointed BMVA Distinguished Fellows.
- The ‘Missing Oral’ Sessions: Many researchers missed out on presenting interesting work in person due to the need for virtual conferences. We will organise sessions to allow researchers who would have received an oral presentation at one of the conferences that became virtual during the pandemic to apply to give their presentation.
- Early Career Researcher Networking Session: A session for recently appointed faculty to meet and present their research topics as well as receive guidance from senior researchers.
- Industry Sessions: Industrial research groups will be able to host individual and joint sessions.
We welcome both suggestions for additional items for the timetable and volunteers who would like to be involved in the organisation and running of any aspect of the event.
Our intention is to keep the cost of attending as low as possible and to make sure there are no barriers from the whole computer vision community attending. We anticipate that UK restrictions will permit national travel to allow attendance. While we would welcome attendance from colleagues overseas, unfortunately we cannot advise international registration or booking as the rules on international travel remain unclear.